Continue after the cut...
- Shoayb (upon him be peace) is mentioned in the Holy Quran
11 times, he is known as Jethro in the Bible. The people of Madyan were
originally true followers of Ebrahim (upon him be peace) but gradually
over the centuries had become involved in disobedience and sin. In
particular they were involved in:
1. Idol worship and polytheist customs
2. Cheating when giving measure but claiming in full or more than entitled
3. Falsehood in all matters and robbing people
- Allah (Glorified and Exalted is He) makes mention in the Holy Quran in Surah Al-A’raf: “And unto Madyan (We sent) their brother, Shoayb. He said: O my people! Serve God! Ye have no other god save Him. Lo! A clear proof hath come unto you from your Lord; so give full measure and full weight and wrong not mankind in their goods, and work not confusion in the land after the fair ordering thereof. That will be better for you, if ye are believers.” [7:85]
- Shoayb (upon him be peace) was very upset on seeing his people practice bad deeds. He advised them to seek forgiveness of Allah. Alas, they desisted and were destroyed by an earthquake.
- Shoayb (upon him be peace) was renowned for his eloquence and good speech. According to Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him), whenever the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be on him) mentioned him, he said, “he was the orator of the Prophets”.
- Shoayb (upon him be peace) was ethnically an Arab. In a hadith narrated by Abu Zarr (may Allah be pleased with him) it is stated, “Four are from the Arabs. Hud, Salih, Shoayb and your Prophet, O Abu Zarr!”.
- The tomb of Shoayb (upon him be peace) is also claimed to be in Hadramawt, Yemen.